Tuesday 14 October 2014

Review of Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

The most anticipated story in the blockbuster Dark-Hunter series. The never-before-revealed story of the Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron.  He was made human in order to escape death, but in death he was reborn a god. . .
 Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.

Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #8)
After I had read the reviews for Acheron, it took me a while to read this book. In fact, I had read the previous Dark Hunter books earlier this year, but was afraid of this book. I have read 'The League' series, and the last one 'Born of Silence' was horrifically graphic.

This stuck in my mind because of the awful torture scenes. Sherrilyn Kenyon loves a tortured bad boy. I love em too.. just not that far gone. If you haven't read Born of Silence, I fully recommend it, just not for the faint if heart.

With Acheron, I expected to feel disgusted with the first half of the book. I didn't. I felt sad and overwhelmed at the amount of times poor Acheron got beat, and she didn't hold anything back. A few times I was reading the book so fast, trying to get past a truly horrific scene, whilst my hand was over my mouth in shock.

She left plenty to the imagination ( thank God.. or is that Zeus) but it was readable. I especially liked how Sherrilyn used Ryssa's voice for the first part of the book and of course, explain the whole process of the Dark Hunter's, why they were needed. I finally understood Acheron and Artemis' relationship, and the full extent of his humility, morality and honour.

The second part of the book is Acheron's chance at an HEA.. after everything that had happened I felt that this was perfect. Tori, was perfect. She had brains, beauty, humour, quirkiness and spunk. She stood up to him; she stood by him. She reacted perfectly for a man who had every person betray him. I loved her...

This book was not what I was expecting, it was far better. Thanks Sherrilyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment