Tuesday 14 October 2014

Review of The Scandalous Duchess by Anne O'Brien


If you will be a great man’s mistress you must pay the price...

1372, The Savoy. Widow Lady Katherine Swynford presents herself for a role in the household of merciless royal prince John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, hoping to end her destitution. But the Duke’s scandalous proposition leaves her life of pious integrity reeling...

Seduced by the glare of royal adoration, Katherine becomes John’s mistress. She will leave behind everything she has stood for to play second fiddle to his young wife and ruthless ambition. She will live in the shadows of the most powerful man in England in the hope of a love greater than propriety.

But soon the court whispers – whore, harlot, vile temptress – reach the ears of not just John’s bride but his most dangerous political enemies. As the Plantagenet prince is accused of bringing England to its knees, who better to blame than shameless she-devil Katherine Swynford? Dragged from the shadows, Katherine must answer for her sins.
The Scandalous Duchess

Quotes

I should warn you that it will be my life's quest to win you for my own- John.

Will God punish us for snatching at happiness in a world that brings a woman precious little of it? - Katherine.

I saw you in my audience chamber and I wanted you. you know that. I wanted you to be mine. I still do, and I won't let you go. You were made to belong to me. It is my right to claim you. - John

Always Know, even hen we apart,when time does not allow me to touch your thoughts over the miles that separate us, that you are held close in my mind. Nothing will separate us. we are made to be together - John.

She will not be sent away. For her is the truth, Constanza. Katherine is the Women I love. She is the woman I wish to have beside me. - John.

Tonight, when I saw you standing there alone, defending yourself with such composure, such courage, I knew what you had come to mean to me. That you are necessary to me as the air I breathe.- John

I regret our time apart with every drop of my blood in my blood.
It was Living death. Without hope. Without happiness.
You are the music that stirs my heart to weep at the beauty of it.
You my Dear man, are the sweet verse that awakens my mind to love's glory - John and Katherine.

Our souls were to replete in each other, as smoothly close-knit as the feathers on the breast of a collared dove- Anne O'Brien.

It's a request for a papal dispensation.. For us, Katherine. To allow us to marry - John

I love you. Death will not destroy what was ours. Such love will outlive the years. The echo of my devotion will remain a constant presence in your thought. I swear it. John

No comments:

Post a Comment